Here's my all-time favorite wheat bread recipe that I make regularly. The result is a very moist, soft and delicious bread! Everyone who has tried it seems to love it too, and I have been constantly asked for the recipe. Paul, Heather & I devour this, while John enjoys the white bread. I'll post the recipe for that also.
The dough almost doubled in size.
All done!
Wheat Bread
2 (.25 oz) package rapid rise yeast
1 teaspoon white sugar
½ cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
1 (12 fluid oz) can evaporated milk
¼ cup water
¼ cup melted butter
¼ cup honey
2 teaspoon salt
3 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups bread flour (or all-purpose flour)
1. Dissolve yeast and sugar in ½ cup warm water. Let stand until yeast becomes frothy, about 6 minutes. While waiting for yeast to grow, proceed to step 2.
2. In a large bowl; combine milk, ¼ cup water, melted butter, honey, and salt. Mix well. Add wheat flour one cup at a time, mixing well with a wooden spoon. Mix the yeast mixture to the flour mixture , and let it rest 15 minutes. Add white flour one cup at a time, mix and knead. Knead by hand for about 10 minutes or with mixer for 8 minutes. Keep adding flour while kneading until dough is not too sticky. I usually add about ½ c to 1 c more. Place the dough in a greased bowl, and turn to coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or kitchen towel. Let dough rise for 2 hours, or until doubled.
3. Punch down and divide dough in half. Roll out each half and knead a little with flour. Form into2 loaves, and place in 2 greased 9x5 inch bread pans. Let rise in a warm area until doubled; second rise should take about 1 hour.
4. Place a small pan of water on the bottom shelf of oven. This is very important! Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
5. Bake 25 to 35 minutes, or until tops are dark golden brown. Another way to test doneness is by tapping the top of bread. Hollow sound means it is done. Let cool in a cooling rack to prevent bread from getting soggy. Slice when cool. Keep in refrigerator if not eating right away (this also makes bread easier to slice). Freezes well.
3 comments:
Oh man this bread is SO heavenly!! My kiddos (not to mention me!) devour this like there's no tomorrow. And usually there is no tomorrow for the loaf! Seriously, since when does a 2-yr-old eat two thick slices in one sitting?! It's ridiculous. You gotta try it! You're an expert Nohreen! Thanks for all the yummy bread and recipe too so we can attempt it while we're not so close to you this year!
Thanks Pam, you're so sweet! I loved watching your kids enjoy my bread. The flour you left me is being put to good use. :)
Thanks for the bread recipe Nohreen! I can't wait to try it. Geoff loves homemade bread and I don't make it very often. I have been looking for a good wheat bread recipe that only makes two loaves and doesn't require a fancy mixer.
Post a Comment