Sunday, November 16, 2008

Of Doctors & Antibiotics

Today is a rather eventful day here at the Wertenbaker household. It consisted of a trip to the Dr's office & antibiotic. A few days ago, Heather mentioned of a simple pimple on her right knee. Come Satruday evening, she was in pain from an already reddened, warm to touch, boil-like pimple. She was also having trouble walking which gave her a limp & could not bear anything touching her knee.

The Dr said that it looked like a staph infection. She will be on antibiotics for 10 days starting today. If her boil improves she does have staph infection, if gets worse, it's more likely she has MRSA. A few months ago, 2 children from her class had gotten MRSA! We're hoping what she has is staph. Although MRSA is treatable-- only requiring a different set of stronger antibiotic, I dread the thought of her getting it. I'll keep her home tomorrow & hope to send her back to school Tuesday. She isn't contagious, just uncomfortable from any clothing touching her knee & tired of limping around.

I was supposed to teach today, but I couldn't. John has a cold, Paul is coughing & wheezing & I felt overwhelmed. My friend, Brittany, stepped in & taught the lesson I was supposed to give today. Thanks very much, Brittany!! You're wonderful!

The Dr made sure to mark the red, swollen area to see if it will get any bigger. He also drew a smiley face to it. :) The nose of the face is where the boil is.

2 comments:

Nick and Maddy Winward said...

Ouch! That looks like it hurt. I am glad that Heather is better! It was good to see her on Sunday!

Nohreen said...

Me too, it is unlike her to be ill & in pain. This is the same girl who broke her ankle at 1 1/2 yrs old & let out only one cry!!