Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Last 4th of July weekend...

we had a mini-vacation. We packed up our bicycles, 2 days worth of clothes, and a good dose of sense of adventure; and headed out to North Western NJ. For the first day of the trip, we stopped at an amusement park with water rides called The Land of Make Believe, located in a tiny town called Hope, NJ. John & our kids did the rides & took a nice dip in the pools & water rides. I was just happy & content to watch them have fun. I am not allowed to go in a pool yet, not for another month and a half anyway.

one can never be too old for a carousel ride!!
need a sugar high?! this is the right store for you

one of Paul & Heather's favorite rides
The next day, we rode our bikes and travelled down John's memory lane. :) We visited the town where he used to live when he was young. A small town called Blairstown, where Blair Academy is nicely nestled. John's father used to teach at the academy.

I was actually brave enough, and strong enough to hop on my bike & join everyone. I must say, John deliberately plotted our course ahead of time, to make sure it was the easiest & safest route for us. It feels great, and I'm so grateful to be healthy again!!!

John being a kid again! He said he used to go down this hill many times a day... and at full speed!!!

A hill in Blair Academy where John had many happy memories sledding down whenever it snowed. They called it back then, Suicide Hill. The picture does not do the hill justice, for it is very steep & dumps you right into a road. Happy to report that no one has gotten very badly hurt (especially John) when he was living there. And I know why they gave it such a name! :)

A natural spring. I tried capturing the bubbling of the water from the bottom.

It is clean & refreshing, and my family could not resist it. They all tried it, but I did not. I can never be too careful with my new mechanical heart valve, and all.

A foot bridge over Blair Academy waterfall

on the foot bridgeWest hall, one of the many apratments inside Blair Academy where John used live

6 comments:

Nancy and Spencer said...

That's one fun-filled adventure! i'm so happy that you're doing well enough to ride a bike, Nohreen. :)

NTFalkFamily said...

It looks like you had loads and loads of fun. We are so glad that you are up and doing so much together. You have a wonderful family!!!

Brittany said...

Great pictures--what a fun getaway! These are memories the kids (and you) will love forever!

Chanko said...

What a fun vacation/adventure/flashback to the past! Your little kiddies are no longer so little. And you are one strong woman!

Malsy (THE Moe of DMOE) said...

WoW! I ahd no idea John had a connection to BLair. my biological parents attended there in the the 70s. It would be amazing if he knew them!

asther dela cruz said...

hi nohreen! so happy to see u having much fun with your family..how i wish we'll see each other again..missu friend..Pls send my regards 2 ur family. how about mama nita & tristan,how are they? God bless..Keep in touch..